Best Vegan Homemade Soft Pretzels 🥨 Soft & chewy with a crisp, salty golden glazed crust. This easy vegan pretzel recipe is as good as it gets!
I’ve never been a fan of pretzels. I’m not sure why, but they’ve never appealed to me. My husband and daughter on the other hand LOVE a soft pretzel. So when my daughter announced one morning that she would be making homemade soft pretzels, I’ll admit, I wasn’t enthused.
And then these came out of the oven.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
I LOVED these pretzels. Perfectly crisp on the outside with a soft center. Madison’s pretzels have won my approval & my appetite. I couldn’t stop nibbling on them, well, more like devouring them.
What are Pretzels?
It may seem like an odd question, I mean we all know what pretzels are, right? Basically, a pretzel is a type of pastry made from dough that is formed into the shape of a knot and baked. I’ve just never given much thought about them before, but with my newfound appreciation, I decided to look around a bit about their history. I always assumed pretzels originated in Germany, but some accounts claim the first pretzels were made by an Italian monk. The pattern of the knot symbolizing arms crossed in prayer.
How to make soft pretzels
Traditionally, soft pretzels are often made with butter and eggs. For these homemade vegan soft pretzels, Madison used all plant-based ingredients.
They are made in three basic steps:
Prepare the pretzel dough and let it proof (rise)
Shape the dough into pretzels
Briefly boil, brush with glaze, sprinkle with salt & bake
We sliced a pretzel in half and turned it into the best vegan sausage & sauerkraut sandwich. It was fantastic! Now I know what we’re serving during Oktoberfest!
Enjoy these pretzels hot from the oven or store them in an airtight container and reheat in a microwave for about 10-12 seconds. Serve them with a variety of mustards and our easy vegan cheese sauce as a dip.
very vegan 🌱 very good
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!
Best Vegan Homemade Soft Pretzels
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric stand mixer with dough hook – optional
- silicone spatula
- 5 qt stovetop pot
- Large slotted spoon or handled strainer.
- Silicone pastry mat or flat surface for rolling dough
- Pastry or basting brush
- Kitchen knife or scissors
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- 1-1/2 cups water warm
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 4 cups flour all-purpose
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups warm water, 1 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp salt.
- Sprinkle over top – 1 package of active dry yeast. Allow to sit about 5 minutes, until foaming.
- Using an electric mixer with a dough hook, or by hand with a silicone spatula – mix in 1 tbsp melted butter and 4 cups flour. Gradually add the flour a small amount at a time.
- Form dough into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to proof (rise) for one hour or until dough doubles in volume.
- Once dough has proofed, begin boiling 9 cups of water in large pot. Add baking soda once boiling.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Meanwhile, roll dough into ropes. Cut into 8 even pieces about 24" long. Twist into pretzel shapes.
- Place pretzels, one at a time onto slotted spoon or handled strainer and lower into boiling water. Let boil for 15 seconds, flip pretzel over and boil another 15 seconds. Remove from water and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat process for each pretzel.
- Combine 2 tbsp non-dairy milk with 1 tbsp maple syrup. Lightly brush tops of each pretzel with wash.
- Sprinkle with sea salt
- Use tips of scissors or end of sharp knife and lightly score the sides of each pretzel in one or two places.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes at 425° until golden brown.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!