Vegan Mediterranean Roasted Veggies 🌱A beautiful, healthful, delicious array of freshly roasted veggies makes the ultimate starter or light meal!
This gorgeous appetizer was prepared by my dear friends Christine and Jerri-Ann. Both are fantastic home cooks who love to create delicious, nutritious food. Recently, I was invited to a get-together with them and a group of our friends. As soon as I walked in the door, this magnificent platter of colorful veggies immediately caught my attention.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
Perfectly roasted zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, red peppers, portobello mushrooms, cauliflower, accompanied with with olives, artichoke hearts, and a spicy hummus, pita chips and baguettes. I was in veggie heaven!
What I love so much about this fabulous feast is that it is not only delicious, it is super nutritious! Low in calories* and high in vitamins and minerals, this is the ultimate guilt-free party starter!
Are roasted vegetables healthy?
Yes! There is very good reason why Mediterranean cuisine is considered one of the healthiest on the planet and this roasted veggie platter is no exception. Plant-centric and loaded with heart-healthy goodness, this beautiful creation is a perfectly prepared & delish, nutrish dish.
How to roast veggies without oil
You can prepare this dish WFPB oil-free, simply by omitting the olive oil. Follow the same directions for baking, but you might need to adjust the time. I would also suggest adding additional seasoning to your liking. If you use starchy veggies (like sweet potatoes or carrots), steam them for a few minutes prior to roasting.
*Veggies only. Not including bread or extras.
How to roast vegetables
It’s easy roasting your own veggies in the oven. Bell peppers take a bit longer, as you will want to remove the skins. Just follow the simple directions below!
How to remove skins from peppers
Bell peppers should be roasted whole. Whole roasting will cause the skins to blister. Place your whole peppers on a baking sheet. Bake peppers at 450º. Keep an eye on them, watching for the skin to blister all around. Remove peppers from the oven. Immediately transfer peppers to a deep bowl and cover tightly with clear plastic wrap or place in a paper bag and close securely. Allow them to sit and steam for at least one hour. The skins should peel off fairly easily after the peppers have cooled. Discard stems and seeds and slice peppers into large strips.
How to make a roasted veggie platter
Vegan Mediterranean Roasted Veggies
Choose your favorite assortment of these veggies (or add your own) for your platter:
- Yellow Squash
- Portobello Mushrooms
- Red bell peppers* (pre-roasted and skinned)
- Cauliflower (large florets)
- Red Onions
Preheat oven to 450º
Cut veggies lengthwise into spears or slices. Place a single layer of veggie spears onto a baking sheet or shallow oven-proof pan. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast veggies in oven until tender and slightly browned. Roasting time varies by veggie, usually 25-45 minutes.
🥕Tip: Line pan with parchment for easy release and clean-up.
Arrange roasted veggies on a large platter. Add artichoke hearts and an assortment of pitted olives. Serve with pita bread or sliced baguettes accompanied with any of these fabulous vegan dips:
very vegan 🌱 very good
Vegan Mediterranean Roasted Veggies
- Chef's knife
- paring knife
- baking sheet
- large bowl
- plastic wrap
- 2 whole red bell peppers *see special instructions below
- 1 whole eggplant cut into spears
- 2 whole zucchini cut into spears
- 1 whole cauliflower large florets
- 1 whole yellow squash cut into spears
- 2 C portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 whole brocollini large florets
- 1 whole fennel bulb sliced
- 1 whole red onion sliced
- 2 whole red bell peppers skinned* and cut into spears
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tsp sea salt coarse
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 450º
- Line pan with parchment for easy release and clean-up.
- Place a single layer of veggie spears onto a baking sheet or shallow oven-proof pan.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast until tender and slightly browned. Roasting time varies by veggie, usually 25-45 minutes.
*Roasted Red Peppers (prepare in advance)
- Red bell peppers should be roasted whole, until outer skin is blistered all around and inner flesh is no longer firm when pressed.
- Transfer peppers immediately to a deep bowl and cover tightly with clear plastic wrap or place in a paper bag and close securely. Allow peppers to sit and steam for at least one hour.
- When cooled, skins should peel off fairly easily. Discard stems and seeds and slice peppers into large strips.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!