Easy Vegan Old Fashioned Apple Crisp 🍎 A simply sweet & scrumptious 100% vegan version of a classic apple dessert made even tastier with a splash of orange juice, a sprinkle of tart cranberries and a crispy caramelized oat topping. Oh my, it’s easier than pie!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
As soon as the outdoor temperatures start to cool down, I get into baking mode. With the coming of fall, it always seems that one of the first recipes I like to prepare is this one – my Easy Vegan Old Fashioned Apple Crisp.
What it is about cold weather that puts me in the mood to bake? Maybe it’s the idea of a hot oven heating the kitchen or more likely, a latent primitive instinct to consume extra calories in order to survive through the winter months. I know . . . that’s a stretch. Whatever it is, the idea of creating an apple crisp sounds like a perfectly appropriate and wonderful thing to do tonight. I’ll think about working off those calories tomorrow.
I love making apple crisps. I think of them as short-cut versions of French or Dutch apple pies, but better. Whereas the European pies have simple streusel toppings and solid bottom crusts (which is a lot more work), apple crisps are all about the crisp. A basic streusel topping is made from a combination of flour, sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
Apple crisp topping is made with similar ingredients but also includes rolled oats . Hence, the ‘crisp‘.
What is the difference between an Apple Betty, Cobbler and a Crisp?
Apple Betty aka Apple Brown Betty, has a streusel topping, like a French or Dutch apple pie and, like an apple crisp, has no bottom crust.
Cobblers are fruit based desserts with a biscuit topping. The juicier the fruit (berries, cherries, peaches, etc.) the better the cobbler. The biscuit topping is perfect to absorb the juice, like in our recipe for this scrumptious Easy Vegan Berry Cobbler
How to make the best Vegan Apple Crisp ever!
It all starts with the apples!
I love to combine a variety of apples when I make an apple crisp. Granny Smith, Fuji, and Honeycrisp are some of my favorites. If you don’t have one, I suggest getting yourself a really good veggie peeler . It can make removing the apple skins so much easier and the entire process a lot faster.
See the complete recipe below for details
Serve with a scoop of luscious vegan vanilla ice cream or a dollop of a non-dairy plant-based whipped cream. Oh my!
I love the caramelized crispy oat topping!
The addition of dried cranberries & orange juice add a fresh tart citrusy flavor.
The sweetness of the apples and brown sugar are just the right balance.
If you love this yummy vegan fruit dessert, check out these tempting recipes!
- Easy Vegan Berry Cobbler
- World’s Best Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie
- Best Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- Easy Vegan Apple Pie
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie
very vegan 🍏 very good
Easy Vegan Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- Medium size mixing bowl
- 6 apples peeled, cored, & sliced
- 1/2 C brown sugar vegan
- 1/2 C flour all purpose, unbleached
- 1/2 C oatmeal old-fashioned
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg freshly ground is best
- 1/4 C vegan butter
- 1/2 C orange juice
- 1/4 C dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Arrange apples in bottom of dish, filling evenly.
- Sprinkle cranberries over apples, evenly distributing them throughout.
- Drizzle orange juice over all.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add oats.
- Using a pastry cutter or large fork, work the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly.
- Spoon crumble mixture over apples, covering evenly.
- Bake (uncovered) at 350º for approximately 40 minutes, until apples are bubbling and the top is golden-brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vegan ice cream or a dollop of non-dairy whipped topping. Enjoy!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!